Friday, October 21, 2005

Big Indian Chief of Oildale






Karen and I went to the Corral Cafe last night for a beer with Kris after a long, hard, week's work. The reason we decided (I decided) to go there is because earlier in the month we had driven by this place and saw the giant (politically incorrect, I'm sure) Indian standing there, greeting passers by with a raised hand. He stands tall, more impressive than David, with a poem between his legs. Please note the trees for scale. Beers were $2.50 a pint. The Corral Cafe is my new favourite bar of all time.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

And the award for worst poem I've read this year goes to...


MARV!!

Stand up and take a bow Marv, only could a cowboy, a true cowboy write such muddled and shoddy poetry. I will give you credit for your work on making sure the idea of a rhyming scheme was presented even it it was haphazardly followed. However I'm not sure about your abilities with metre. Cursorily, I'd say they are abyssmal. And I won't take the time to actually analyze your poem... so that's where that's going to lie.

So yeah, let's hear it for giant homages to racial stereotypes. May they live on in our "history" forever!

Oh... and "other's drew back a bow and sent an arrow into his mighty chest"? What the hell? Was this a problem in this poor statues past? Were the crazy youth of this small town where there are many a warrior situated getting liquoured up on moonshine and pelting this monstrosity with arrows?

Has any other giant indian statue had a history that was so tumultous? I think not.

gnat said...

I knew you'd love it. I must go back during the day to capture his true splendour.

Anonymous said...

Hey kilometres,

You are not allowed to comment on Gnat's blog until you post on your own!

We are dying here.....