Tuesday, December 23, 2008

more December romping adventures

Before heading off to the big red trees for a winter camp, a couple more geo-related strolls (involving rock hammers) were necessary.

Pegmatitic granite from the Lake Isabella dump site. Rainbow behind the Lake Isabella dam. Inquisitive cow in the Kern Canyon. Snow-capped Sierra Nevada as seen from the Red Rock Canyon desert. Opalized vesicular basalt. Very low water in the Kern River. Metal joshua tree "sculpture" on hwy 395. Red dunes at Red Cinder Hill. Me down in Fossil Falls.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Gnat,

Great photos. I especially like the Red dunes at Red Cinder Hill. It's very dramatic with such a clear day.

Speaking of geology, Saturday I had the opportunity to visit Obsidian Dome just north of Mammoth Lakes. It's pretty amazing and I plan to go back when I can spend more time exploring there.

The reason I'm writing is to ask you a question:

I was on US395 yesterday and caught a glimpse of the metal Joshua Tree sculpture you photographed. I didn't have a chance to go back and look at it up close. Do you know anything about the sculpture like: why, who, etc.? Thanks for sharing your photos.

I'll check back to see if you've posted an answer.

-MojaveMike