Friday, December 18, 2009

First Ski of the Season

Monday brought a few friends and I to Alta Sierra, about an hour and a half drive from Bakersfield, for some cross country skiing after the weekend had brought some 12 inches of snow to the area.

I finally got to try out the gear that I had bought at the end of last season and was extremely pleased with the results. Especially the boots - worth every penny!


When we took a little break for lunch in a wide open area, the sticky sunny snow was calling for a snowman. It was a little too easy to roll the large balls of snow, and I destroyed the body with an extra large head on the first try... we did finish him successfully, and even with "hair"!



I'm still a little awe struck that this lies literally in my backyard and up until last year, I had absolutely no idea.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I don't know if I've ever been there! Maybe as a small child. I can remember my dad driving us on all sorts of adventures. What a cool place and what fun!

Kilometres said...

What a gorgeous vista! I can't believe this is in your back yard either. How is it that everything seems to be in your back yard!? Looks like a great time though! It kind of doesn't make sense to me at all that you are able to go skiing where you live. ...Does not compute...