Sunday, February 12, 2012

Niter Ice "Caves"

This weekend I went on a geology field trip to the Niter Ice Caves, which is a really odd name for this (singular) lava tube. There was, however, ice in it. In the form of super cool looking ice stalagmites! They were way too much fun, I kinda wish I could have a "garden" like this of my own to wander though. Talk about a wonderland.



Of course, some idiots have to ruin every geological wonder out there, and just about every wall in the entire 1/2 mile long lava tube was covered in stupid graffiti.


On the drive after the lava tube we spotted this pipe that was leaking off the side of the road. This produced more ice wonders of a completely different, and equally delightful, nature. I suppose something will have to be done about this pipe, but meanwhile it is gorgeous!

No comments: