Thursday, September 29, 2005

My office - and addendum to "I AM LIVID!"


I can't believe I never posted the photo of my office. This one is taken before I got a computer (the one featured in the photo is not functioning, except to take up space). Please note the couch. It seems that wherever I go, I have a couch in my office!

Now, the addendum... And I can't believe I didn't post this either! But with the chaos of the day, I must've overlooked this other event. After I came into my lab on Thursday afternoon, fuming about the notice from the door, I noticed that the seismometer was not writing anything. I investigated it, and while it was running, the ink had decided to not flow anymore. I tried to make it work properly, but it appeared to be plugged, so even though I'm "in charge" of it, and no nothing about running one, I just decided to give up and turn it off. DURING the test that day in walked a strange man.

"May I help you?" I ask, while the students become distracted

"I'm from channel 17 news" he says, "may I see your seismometer?"

"It's over there" I point, "but the ink isn't running so it isn't recording anything right now"

He looks shocked. Aghast. "We just had an earthquake" he says, "you didn't record it?"

I'm thinking GREAT we FINALLY have something worth recording and the damn ink isn't running and the news people come in to try to get a story and I let down the college by not being able to run the stupid thing.

The students, of course, start freaking out. "Was there damage?" "Did anyone die?" "My momma's property's on the fault line! Oh my god! I have to call! What if everything's ruined?" some starts to cry. The news guy is now even more taken aback by this INSANE reaction - I mean, did any of us FEEL it in the class???? NO! We did not!

So he reassures them that it was a 4.0, and there was no damage. Do they believe him? NO! They continue to freak out until I say, "ok, you need to FOCUS ON THE MINERAL TEST right now, a 4.0 is NOT a big earthquake, we didn't even feel it". It was not a good lab day!!!

UGH.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

did you try plugging in the seismometer? I hear that helps them run.

Unknown said...

oh... and did anyone die? A four sounds HUGE to me. Is your house still standing? Was it fun to live through an earthquake? Have any other limbs turned up in your office as a result of all the damage? Have you tried turning the computer in your office that just takes up space ON?

gnat said...

thanks for the sound advice, kilometres - but I had to turn OFF the seismometer because the ink had plugged up and wasn't flowing, thus the needle was scratching dry on the paper...