Saturday, December 24, 2005

I outdid myself, I really really did!




I made this totally awesome (not to be boastful here, but seriously, as I was making it, I was impressing the pants off of, well, me!) knitting bag for my amazing cousin Amelia. Basically it's a tote-bag, but on the inside I sewed a pocket with a lot of skinny sections in it specifically to hold needles. So I guess that means that when not in use for a knitting project it would make a handy purse.
Since she loves horses, I decided I would quilt a horse on the bag, so first I decided to see if I could draw a horse - as it turns out, I COULD draw a horse - then it was a simple case of fabric selection, carefully cutting, and hours and hours of sewing by hand (which is easily one of my least favourite tasks).
Finding purse handles was also tricky, after deciding against every ugly pre-made gigantic purse handle available, I stumbled across wooden numbers and letters for house fronts. Two "O"s made perfectly adequate, and much more charming handles. I topped it off by including yarn and needles in the bag...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy Knitting Needles Batman! Is there anything you can't make with style?

That bag is really freaking awesome. I wish I knit just so I could have a knitting bag that special. Well, I wish I also liked horses a whole lot too but you get my drift.

Gnat, that rules me. I hope you saved the pattern so you can mass produce it and sell it to horse lovers everywhere. They'll pay through the nose for dual coloured shiny equine objects!

gnat said...

"pattern"? is that like a "recipe" for crafts or something? you know I hopelessy can't use such things! imagine if I had attempted Kep with a "pattern" - I can't imagine it would've worked at all... alas...

Anonymous said...

Hey "gnat", it's me! I just wanted to say that I use that bag all the time! It's the greatest! Well you know what I had before, that horrible plastic bag. I was just thanking you again. Also, nice picture!

gnat said...

love you too Amelia!