Monday, July 06, 2009

Crocuta, crocuta

My fantasy locale for a yurt in the Sierra stems from Crocuta, handbuilt by the Woodsman some 40 years ago, and home for the annual 4th of July celebration (sans forest fire starters) of which I have been privy to for the last 3 years. 4th of July being a somewhat belated celebration of Canada Day held in another country - as I see it anyway.

The newest addition to the cabin: a custom-made sign.

The origin of "crocuta"? a funny sounding word that (when doubled) means Pleistocene spotted hyena or something to that effect. Regardless of the meaning, this place has come to be a haven that I love going to - it's not exactly roughing it, in fact, I'd say it's the high life of mountain living. Screened-in windows and doors. Solar-powered lights. Fresh spring water on the property. Mountains, trees, meadows, the occasional bear, charm, etc.

The view I wake up to (behind the screen) when I am nestled above the "bath house".

No comments: