Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Going Swimming

I wanted to be able to swim at lunch time some days in the beautiful Olympic sized outdoor pool we have here on campus. I enquired at the phys ed center. The secretary looked at me like I was insane and why on EARTH would I think that SHE could POSSIBLY help me with that. I am confused... After all, am I not at the phys ed center? Is the pool not directly behind me? I can see the glorious sparkling waters beckoning to me, taunting me, as I speak to this useless woman. The best I can get from her is that I need a pink piece of paper from Human Resources (also signed by HR) that I then fill out and bring to the business office. What on Earth? I do this, and then ask the business person if I can get into the pool. She says that this pink form doesn't allow me access to the pool, I will have to contact the phys ed people about getting into a swim class. HUH?????
I go another route - I e-mail the pool manager directly (her office is accesible only from the pool, so if you can't actually get ONTO the pool deck, you can't actually talk to her) and explain that I would like to be able to swim in our beautiful Olympic sized swimming pool some days at lunch time, and what's the deal with what I've been told? She apologizes that the phys ed people weren't more helpful and tells me to come by at 10:30 the following morning and she will sign the appropriate forms and give me a locker. GREAT! So I go and find her (this was not without more unpleasant encounters with phys ed secretary lady from hell, but we don't need to get into that), so I now have 2 more forms, both signed by the pool manager, both I have to fill out and then bring to Admissions and Records to get signed. So I head on over to A&R, where I have gone several times because an ANGEL works there who has been helping me from day one get things sorted out - she is THE most helpful person that might exist on the planet. So, here I go to beg assistance again. She checks over the forms, forges the approprite additional required signatures in the appropriate places so I don't have to run around more, and informs me that I am supposed to fill out an online form as well. MORE FORMS???????? I exclaim much too loudly, aghast at how freaking impossible it is to get into the pool here. She says not to worry, she won't make me go through the horrid computer system, just fill out this bubble form and bring it to window 1 and we'll scan it through and get you in immediately. Besides that it took me probably 20min to fill in all those bubbles (and I still did some of it wrong), she was right, and the next day I was swimming.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What the frig does scantron have to do with swimming? Gnat do they have armed guards with trained dogs surrounding this place? Is the perimeter lined with gleaming metal razorwire fences? It kills me that so far your most running around seems to be in order to swim at lunch.