Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Good Car Karma

After the unbelievable swimming pool hassle and all the warnings I got from everyone in California about the hell that is the DMV, I was terrified of even trying to get car stuff sorted out. I went to AAA first to organize myself and get insurance so that if I die in a car accident on the way to the DMV, at least I won't get arrested for not having insurance.
They inform me that going to the DMV will be an extremely torturous process and I should prepare myself.
I get an appointment for this morning at 9:30am for my written test, fully planning to arrive at 9am and study the book before hand. I also get an appointment for 10:30am to begin the registration process for my Canadian vehicle... I had been informed that I would probably not be able to register it, and that most likely I would have to send it back. I was warned, I was petrified.
So, I arrive at the DMV at 9am on the dot, get in line for the ticket window, explain what I'm there for, I'm told to fill out a form and that I will be called shortly. So the studying plan didn't really fall into place - and I had finished writing the test, done the vision test, had my prints taken and photo taken long before 9:30am happened. Luckily common sense prevailed and I passed the test just fine.
Then I get back in the line for the ticket window for registration this time. I have already filled out the form. I give the lady all my stuff, explain that I don't have a smog because I have a diesel, turns out the next car she wants to buy is a diesel because they're cleaner and more efficient... I explain that in Canada our registration is also our title. she does this and that, makes me sign this, types here and there, flips through this book and that, and asks me to pull the car around to the car port on the back of the building. So I do, she asks me what brings me to Bakersfield, checks out my car, fills out more forms and tells me to meet her back inside at her window. So I do. She tells me my registration will be $165. Oh, I say, I pay already even though my registration isn't complete? It's almost complete she tells me, I just need to give you your new plates and stickers. What? I don't need to fill out more forms? I don't need to go to San Diego to do more government stuff? No - here's a screwdriver, you need to bring me your old plates. So we do the plate trade, and she keeps my old crap and suddenly, 15 minutes later my car is registered.
When I get into school I tell my registration story, and evidently the service I received is unheard of. Oh did I mention? This lady also booked my driving test for me. It was easier than getting into the pool.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's fantastic for you! ... and maddening for me at the same time. Did I relate to you my story of how they cancelled my SK insurance because I was living in ON now? They decided that would be a problem as I start my FOURTH year here. So I had to take my car to safety tests, which it failed, get parts and a new windshield (I'm from SK of COURSE there was a crack in it!) in less than 4 days before it was removed from the road (whatever that means...). So after like $1400 my car was able to drive on the roads again but I couldn't get insurance cause the faxes weren't being recieved by the insurance company. PC insurance gets a HALF star for customoer service. I can't even DESCRIBE the ineptitude of having 3 people being unable to find ONE file's faxes. It took up the better part of a week to get it all figured out. CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY!!!